Monday, August 31, 2015

Honest Abe at Lytle Park

 
One of the oldest areas in the city.  The vicinity was the early site of Fort Washington, built in 1789 to protect early settlers of the Ohio River town from Indian attacks.
Purchased by the City of Cincinnati in 1905 and Lytle Park was dedicated July 6, 1907.
 Lytle Park is kind of in my Nati's business district.
It has tulips, magnolia and crabapple in the spring to annuals and perennials in the summer and to annuals mixed with chrysanthemums in the fall. 
 Well there is construction going on around here now so I, Sweet William The Scot, can not show you the 2.3 acres.
It sits on the original site of the Lytle family homestead, built in 1809 by General William Henry Lytle.
Along the walkway are flags from around the world.  At the base it tells you from what country they hail.
  This one says it is the Royal Standard of Spain. 
 In 1976, the buildings around the park were declared a historic district, and the resulting Lytle Park Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Park also features a heroic bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln.
It is unusual in that it shows a beardless yes clean shaven Honest Abe Lincoln.

The 11-foot (3.4 m) bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln facing the entrance of the park was commissioned by the Charles P. Taft family his brother was President William Howard Taft.
The statue was dedicated amid great fanfare on March 31, 1917, by former president William Howard Taft.
Under this sits the Lytle Tunnel completed in 1970.
The first park to be located above an interstate road, Interstate 71.  Lee hates driving the tunnel.
 The newest building to our Nati City skyline.
 
Thanks for being a  friend
Traveling down the road and back again
Your heart is true and your a friend of  mine
Signing Off 
Sweet William The Scot
I was really sick last week after getting my flu booster shot. 
Why they even took my blood and I got an IV because my tummy could not keep anything down.
But I am better now!
We have had a lot of butterflies this summer.  They love the Lantana plants that we have planted around our home.  So this picture is for Princess Leah because she loves butterflies.
Now this next picture we are sending up to the Rainbow Bridge.  I think they make deliveries there.  Yes it is the Green Bean Delivery truck.
This one is for a very special friend who is at the bridge Kyla.

32 comments :

  1. OHMYPUG we need a green bean delivery truck here also!!!! You have the coolest places where you live Sweet Will, ...we have missed you , we are glad momma is back.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures!
    Sorry you got sick after your shots. That stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William that was a great tour, many thanks. I never saw Mr. Lincoln without a beard, I was very surprised how different he looked :o) I bet he was very youg that time, right? I send POTP to you and I hope the aftereffects from that shot are over soon and you feel much much better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyla would be overjoyed. In the winter, they'd have frozen green beans.

    I guess they made a thin Lincoln instead of President Taft because they didn't have that big a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom loves visiting places like that with lots of history. Did you scream at the tall dude?
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    Oh I love that beardless Abe!!! ...and I'm a bit shy of tunnels too; not every tunnel, but long road tunnels are certainly to be avoided if at all they can be - not logic to it but there you are. What a lovely tour you gave us - and I would be a fan of buttiepillars and green beans too!!! Sorry you had the yuckies from your shots but glad to hear you are over it now. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is dar a flag from our homeland (Scotland)?
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess even Honest Abe got tired of his facial fuzz once in a while.(Or maybe his wife did?)
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.
    PS So glad you're better now after the 'flu shot nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Lantana is beautiful. I have never seen Abe without a beard. If you want to talk tunnels Mom has one for you, the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel, 4 lanes, 20 miles long under the bay. She hates the tunnel and will drive the long way around to by pass that tunnel.
    So sorry about you being sick from your shot. Hope you get better soon.
    Your friend,
    Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all better now ~ Lee said it was like I had the flu for four days. Now tunnels why if I was after a varmint I would go down their tunnel for sure. Have a great week Bentley.
      SWTS

      Delete
  11. I just love these pictures!! And I'm glad you're okay now. They took your blood for your goodness, I believe.
    Hugs,
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our mom would not like that tunnel either. Sorry you were not feeling well and we are so glad you are feeling better.
    Can you send that green bean truck over to Idaho?
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. he is one very tall abe - they always say people are larger in death than life :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love learning about your city. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well but we are glad you are doing okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat day out S.W. So glad you are feeling better! Princess Leah will love that butterfly. Kyla would have loved that green bean machine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen Abe without a beard. Glad you are feeling better.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made us have big, big smiles. We love when you show us your city and the history that is there. The Green Bean truck is priceless! We haven't seen those here. Sorry to hear about your tummy, but are glad you are felling better now.
    oxox
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh SW, I'm sorry you got the sickies after your shot...butts I'm glads you're feelin' better now. You never can tell what's gonna turn on us, huh?
    Oh, I loves that statue! and that Green Bean truck! I can't thinks of green beans without thinkin' of our pal...
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet William, I am so sorry you had a tummy ache. I am glad you are better. Mommy says that she loves your posts because of how you show us your city and things to do there. It is so nice and so much fun. Thank you Sweet William and Lee.

    Ziggy and Mommy Out!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SHE hates tunnels, too. They're sort of hypnotising. Love the idea of the park on top, though. Hope everyone feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, Sir William that Lytle Park is so interesting. It is amid the hustle-bustle of downtown, has beautiful flowers, flags has a statue of Honest Abe and sits atop a tunnel?!? Good gracious, it has everything! I love when you take me on a tour of your Nati City. And oh, I am sorry you were not feeling well last week. Good thing we Scottish Terriers are built tough so you got better right quick.
    Your friend, until the end,
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mum is thinking that she needs to add Cincinnati to her list of places to visit, she loves your guided tours!

    Edgar and his mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. so sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to your flu shot, and very happy you are feeling better!

      E&M

      Delete
  23. Sweet William
    Lee is very lucky you take her to the best and most interesting places. I love that photo of you surrounded by the purple flowers
    Hugs madi your gal pal

    ReplyDelete
  24. What great pictures you have of your Nati City. Glad you are feeling better. I like it when you do events but I REALLY LIKE IT when you do your tours of your Nati City. Maybe when I travel thru we can set up a park date.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved going on the tour of your park. You showed me a lot!

    I would enjoy a tunnel, I even had my own fur a while until growlmy put it away...she said it was an eyesore, BOL!

    My unfurcousins in The Netherlands go through a tunnel between Europe and England...um...now that would not be too much fun....there is a five mile tunnel that I have been in a few times on the Penn.Turnpike...years ago I would go with my peeps to see my Grannie and all her Scottie decor! (They had Scotties there in her younger days...)

    I am glad you are not feeling poorly anymore, wow, you even had to have an IV??

    I am doing pretty good too...but once in a while I keep over just fur fun...not!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks as always for the tour! I'm sorry you were so sick, but glad you are feeling better. We have had lots of butterflies this summer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thinking of you today. Have paws crossed and mom has fingers and toes crossed wishing and praying for your little ducky to win you the BIG prize.
    Your friend,
    Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the tour of that historic park.
    Love your butterflies!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete